Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Tony's got nothin' on these Tigers.

Okay, so I'm not a sports fan, but I love rallying for my home team. Some seemingly insignificant things that I'm loving about tonight's game: Brandon Inge's soul highway (it's not just a patch, people); Polanco and the amazing grimmace (nervous tick?); the fact that Fox like to replay completely ridiculous parts of the game (oh no, the lineman got hit by the ball...in the arm...let's replay that four times. People love that shit!); camera cuts to a shot of the crowd and there's a man shoving a gyro that's twice the size of St. Louis into his mouth; the stadium is named after one of the worst beers on the face of the planet (Busch Stadium). I hope that some time in the near future we'll see the Milwaukee's Best Arena or the Natural Light Convention Center.

Not so good: We're down by 2 (boo.); the Fox announcers don't account for people like me who don't fully understand the strategy behind the game, like "why in the world would they intentionally walk a batter to load the bases with one out?" Answer: to force a double-play. That makes sense - I just had to call Ron so he could give me the answer.

My extreme girl crush on Jenny Lewis has been officialy replaced by Amy Millan. Goddamn, I've never heard songs about heartbreak and suffering sound so sexy. And she sings about whiskey. She can take my lunch money any day of the week.

I can't wait until Friday. The new Hold Steady album is making me crazy. I'll be singing along to every word and enjoying a number of tasty beverages with Miss Sarah, Mister Matt and my Smerigan.


I feel jesus in the clumsiness of young and awkward lovers.
I feel judas in the long odds of the rackets on the corners.
I feel jesus in the tenderness of honest nervous lovers.

lost in fog and love and faithless fear.
I've had kisses that make Judas seem sincere.

counter easy hit