Tuesday, September 06, 2005

'Toot toot' - oops, there goes my own horn.

Okay, I don't like to brag. Quite frankly, I'm mediocre in a number of different things, like cooking and roller hockey. But when I hear someone take a golden opportunity and make it into a goopy mess, when I know I can do it better, it makes me crazy! Spike Lee is currently in pre-production on his newest movie "The Inside Man" starring Denzel Washington, Jodie Foster and Clive Owen. Stellar cast, right? Some kid, and I mean kid, is producing a podcast that chronicles the making of "The Inside Man." In the first episode, Hughey Newman gets a sit-down, one-on-one interview with one of the brightest break-out film directors of the 1990s...and he goes no where. "Can you be passionate about making movies and still be interested in sports?" Are you kidding me? After Mr. Lee goes on about filmmaking being a continuous learning process for about ten minutes - "so, have you accomplished all of your goals?" "Did you learn everything you know on your own or did you have people to guide you?" He already said he went to two different universities to study film!!! "You said making a film takes about a year of your life. How far are you in right now?" HE'S IN PRE-PRODUCTION! YOU KNOW HE'S IN PRE-PRODUCTION! 'PRE' TYPICALLY MEANS BEFORE - HE'S AT THE BEGINNING, YOU DOUCHE! And before the interview, he gives a detailed description of WHAT SPIKE LEE IS WEARING. "Blue and red striped shirt, he's holding a cell phone, he has a gold ring on his left hand, I see a Nike swoosh..." Did you hear that? I think Russ did - my brain just exploded. Spike Lee does tell some interesting stories, but Hughey is truly asking the wrong questions. Your subject can be fasinating, but if you can't have an interesting conversation, your subject will be as interesting as a doorknob.

You are sitting face to face with Spike Lee...and I'm not. That's it. I'm starting my own podcast. If this guy can talk to Spike Lee, then I'm going to the moon.

counter easy hit