Saturday, May 20, 2006

You will get no Forest Gump jokes out of me...

I never did give the River Bank Run recap. It goes something like this: last Saturday, Jax, Ron and I set out to achieve a goal, a very simple, somewhat athletic goal - run 3.2 miles and survive. Well, we did that. The weather was perfect - a crisp 49 degrees with no rain and little wind. Ron and I have officially caught the running bug and we're now working to beat our times in the next two 5k races this summer. For this race, I was 31:12 and Ron was 27:53. Ron is a finely tuned machine. I was really hoping for 30:00 or even 30:30. I held back because I didn't want my body hate me in the days to come, plus when you're running with about 4,000 other people, you tend to be less focused. I will say this, though; there's nothing like going over the bridge in downtown Grand Rapids and seeing a literal sea of runners up the next half mile, runners as far as the eye can see. Next race, the Susan G. Komen Race for a Cure, will be in downtown Detroit on June 10th. You bet your sweet ass I'll be crossing that finish line in 30:00. Believe it, sister. Photos are forthcoming. I'm really smart, right, and I left the digital camera on for about a week. Hey, it was plugged into the computer, and your computer can charge a camera just like an iPod. Right? We'll have official photos from the race committee in a few weeks.

Rumor has it we'll be taking on the 25K (roughly 15 miles) next summer. You say I can't do it? Proving people wrong puts a ridiculous, glowing smile on my face. Just tell me I can't. Come on, you know you want to...

We're off on a leisurely walk to Royal Oak for an iced mocha. I haven't seen the sun in about five days. I'm gonna soak that shit up!!!

counter easy hit