Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Good things come around.

No one thinks it will happen to them. The thought of making it into the great 'ellipse' was far from my mind. I was going to see U2...my first show. I'll take Bono as a dot on the horizon. Then my ticket was scanned. And the bell went off. And I was given a second wristband. I was in. I was in the ring, and it was so amazing. This may be the best show I've been to in the last five years. The emotion hit me right away. I was overwhelmed and, yes, there were tears. Rock icons only 20 feet away from me. It didn't even feel like we were in an arena with thousands of our closest friends. Bono pulled out his stunt double from the crowd (a perfect likeness, only 25 pounds lighter), pointed out his pot belly and spoke of social issues, even dedicating 'One' to Rosa Parks. My favorite tiny moment was watching Adam look through the crowd and at Bono as Bono was starting 'Elevation' - he was clearing savoring the moment, smiling on the outside and no doubt on the inside. The sound was crisp as could be. The whole group was full of energy and the crowd was swept away. "With or Without You," "Miracle Drug," "One," and "Vertigo" made me feel like a better person. There was a dash of Beatles ("St. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band," "Blackbird") and now I won't sleep tonight.

The search begins for a set list...

counter easy hit