Sunday, April 04, 2004

Hard to find the words...

This may come as a shock to some people, but I do like pop music. IF it's done well. That being said, I was completely blown away by the triple threat that was Missy Elliott, Alicia Keys and Beyonce last night at the Palace. Holy shit...holy shiznitty shiznit! No doubt, it will be in my top five of the year. Oh yeah, and we were 18th row. Boo-yah. I went with my friend Joe, and I think we were most excited about the "dance interlude" during one of Beyonce's costume changes. You see, she had a DJ and he just started cutting up all the best dance songs (including "Yeah," slowly becoming my new favorite). I looked around the Palace and people were going out of their minds. It was the biggest freakin' dance party I've ever seen. So much energy! I seriously had doubts as to who should be headlining after Alicia Key's performance. She floored me. So much soul, such a talented piano player, and on her way to Diva status. She shook her jelly, crawled all over her piano...the votes are in - she is a star. I wanted to slap the people who didn't move or clap or appear to feel anything during Alicia's performance - I can't understand why you wouldn't be moved by her. Missy was, of course, Missy the Queen Bitch. Track suits with sequins, unbelievable break dancers, strippers, Missy running through and chillin' with the crowd, dipping back into "Supa Dupa Fly" - so much fun to watch. And Beyonce - OH LORD, SO MUCH JELLY! She came out on a canopy bed, throwing rose petals into the crowd down the middle aisle of the floor section. Flames shooting from the stage, the afore mentioned dance party, all the hits, A DESTINY'S CHILD MEDELY (though lacking "Bootylicious", which I downloaded immediately after I returned home), sprinting across the stage wearing three inch heels, and The Voice...it's muthafunkin' Beyonce, yo! All in all, it was such a shiny, glorious pop circus, and I had a ring side seat.

Worthy side note: There was a woman in a pink track suit who was the star of the music video in her mind in between Missy and Alicia. Prince's greatest hits were heard over the PA and she was just workin' it. And she was in her 40s! Coolest mom in the building award goes to pink track suit lady!

Okay, preparing for apartment overhaul. Enjoy your day of rest...

counter easy hit