Monday, October 04, 2004

Talk of the Town

If you weren't somehow moved by last night's REM/Springsteen Extravaganza, you don't have a soul, and I feel sorry for you. If you spent the previous day at Cedar Point, then played Dodgeball earlier in the day and were too tired to react, then you are exempt.

I truly felt privilaged and fortunate to have witnessed this show. Micheal Stipe was a thin, white, glowing god whose voice grows smoother and better with each live show. Stipe could teach Andre 3000 a thing or three about shaking it like a polaroid picture. I scream like a little girl when he moves his hips. But, like I said, I wanted more! Where was "New Adventures in Hi-Fi?" Where was "South Central Rain?" What about my "Nightswimming?" Oh well - we did get "Walk Unafraid." Goddamn, I love that song - REM at their most motivational. He. Is. Beautiful.

Moment of the night: Shit, I don't know. It's either Preacher Bruce during "Mary's Place (where everyone around us was literally raising their hands, praising Bruce), or Stipe's appearance during "Because the Night" (it was deafening - a wash of singing and cheering), or the Live Aid-like conclusion with "People Have The Power," or the sea of fists pumping along to "The Rising" (don't forget the la la las), or the entire crowd singing along to "Losing My Religon", or maybe the ENTIRE SHOW.

Bruce fans are awesome. They are the most passionate fans I know. Matt and Gary prepped me before the show, complete with sing-a-long and fist-pump cues. They came in handy. Bruce Springsteen is America. He speaks to the Every Man so genuinly that you can't help but become a believer. Amen, brothers and sisters. Go ahead and make fun of me now, but during the entire E-Street performance, I thought 'man, their drummer looks a lot like Max Weinburg.' Okay, I get it. I heart Little Stevie Van Zandt!!! The bandana never gets old!

But don't take my word for it, check this out, not to mention this, and this too.

And to Amber, we miss you and wished you were there to share in the rock!

counter easy hit