Thursday, March 24, 2005

This concludes our broadcast day.

Ron and I are finally entering the wonderful world of DSL, and have now cancelled our dial-up account. There will be no internet at the Maplehurst until next Tuesday, so posts will be few. Sorry, folks. BUT, I will leave you with a review from one, if not THE, more respected and revered writers of our day, Russ "Poison Pen" McNamara. Please read his stellar review of the one-night-only SFA show at Crank n' Wine before heading our to prepare for their North American tour with Stop Whining. Enjoy, bitches!

I was very skeptical of this band when I first heard of them, I mean with a name like they have you're setting a dangerous precedent. Needless
to say when I went downtown to the Crank 'n Wine I didn't really know
what to expect. The buzz around TSFAs had been building for some time.
C'nW was packed...all of the Mods were out including some local rock
dignitaries. I spoke to some and they pretty much echoed my
sentiments--Who are The Super Fucking Awesome and why is this band so
hot right now? 15 minutes later the show started...or at least I
thought it did. A booming voice came over the PA..."Enjoy the laser
lights." And immediately we were dropped into darkness...slowly this
feedback/sound/music started to build. It was a sight resembling that
of an Andy Warhol acid test. This went on for about 15 minutes...there
wasn't a dry eye in the room. Mostly because they were watering from
all of the weed smoke. Then there was silence. And then a deafening
roar behind me...the first chords of It Sucks Because it Sucks Fucker echoed throughout the
bar as Emily Heartwarmer was being lifted up on a platform from behind
the bar. I was awestruck...in between chords she actually managed to
mix to rum and cokes. Then she stopped and acapella-style the vocals
started with the opening verse, "Why do I have to explain myself, it
sucks because it sucks fucker!!!" Liz was in good form tonight
everyone could tell just from that one line. Then the thrashing
started...not from the crowd but from the band...rocking hard riffs
from unexpected places...the amplified digeridoo, rock kazoo(Jax
Bingo's 5-min kazoo solo on Man
Sandwich
is the pinnacle for that instrument) and electric
wash-tub. All smoking hot. It was then the house lights finally came
up revealing the performers to us. They were all wearing brightly
covered clothing and might have been mistaken for Devo had it not been
for the fact that they rocked so hard. From then on they railed
through Super with a side of
Awesome
. Playing 5 tracks without stopping. Again the booming
voice, as the band finally took a short break, just said "Lights." The
stage lights came down, but black lights came up showing the band
completely decked out in pink fluorescence, but where it was really
coming from seemed a mystery...almost as if the band was glowing on
their own. Finally the band started again, ripping into style="font-style: italic;">Punk Rock Cowbell and when the
final drum solo had ended(there were three, all different and
unbelievably all awesome) that was it. They said good night after only
30min and without playing the single Give me your love (and my hairdryer back). But what a
rush...I felt like I had drank cocaine-laced espressos with ecstasy
chasers, I was so excited I was shaking. I look over to none other
than Jack White...he looks at me and mouths the words "Fuck the
Beatles." And I couldn't agree more. We'd found the new kings of Rock
and Roll and it took only 45min. Now there was only one thing left to
do...meet the band, but that will have to wait for some other time.

counter easy hit