Thursday, March 02, 2006

Hamtramck Blowout - time to play!

I'm in such a good headspace right now. I haven't worked with music and elements of production together since the days of Live From Studio A (Moore Hall Television - what WHAT!), but last night was the culmonation of a month worth of preparation, begging, putting out fires. And it went off beautifully. The Holy Fire put on a tremendous show and I was happy to see lots of folks turned out. If you don't have the new EP, get it right now. You will not be disappointed. You will pay attention.

I missed out on Loretta and the Larkspurs, but I did have some personal hightlights. First of all, I FINALLY met Sterling. The "I own Jacoby's-David Bowie slept on my couch" Sterling - he's a laid-back, great guy who geniunely loves people and loves the Detroit scene; a quiet passionate man. And though the crowd was sparse, Downtown Brown kicked out their own funky, funny jams. They were so much fun, poked fun at themselves, shot lasers (REAL lasers!) from their guitars, played industrial size cow bells during "Mullet Millenium," brought out a piccolo-player for a Flogging Molly-esque drinking song (there were bottles in the air and there was group swaying), and the afore mentioned Sterling joined the band for "Kick out the Jams." Rawk.

I did want to catch Johnny Headband, but Crud was just too much. Too much of what, you ask? Name it. Too many boobs. Too many thongs and fishnets. Too much Vinnie Dombrowski as a less fabulous but equally impressive Scott Weiland. Too much coal-mining drummer. Too much industrial, sexual energy. Too many inflattable dolls attached to the backdrop. And yes, I do remember when Emily interviewed them for WMHW and when they played Rubble's. I still don't know how they managed to fit everyone in that tiny club. They still are employing that sassy vixen of a vocalist. I bet she volunteers at a senior living community and knits sweaters for little dogs.

TONIGHT'S BUZZ: Man Inc., The Fags, American Mars, Leaving Rouge, Marie & Francis, and Mason Proper. Remember, Molsons are $3.00 all weekend...

Also, Liam Lynch just finished episode 3 of the Lynchland podcast. Three full half-hours in less than a month? You're too good to me, sweetie.

counter easy hit