Saturday, May 08, 2004

Coachella wrap-up...

Okay folks...strap in...(NOTE: If anything having to do with Coachella, California, or fires is not of interest to you, please stop reading now and have a nice day.)

Friday: Experienced time travel by traveling by plane for five hours, only to seemingly arrive at LAX in about two. Thank you, time zones! We land at 11:00am and decide to wander by car through some of the more steamy spots in The City of Angels. Now, this was a big thrill for me because I'm a huge dork and I've never seen so many palm trees before. We drove down Rodeo Drive and looked at all the beautiful people....well, beautiful after thousands of dollars in plastic surgery, but you get the picture. Then we took a rock and roll tour down the Sunset Strip - The Roxy, Black Cat, Viper Room, Whiskey-A-Go-Go, which by the way, are all located within two blocks of each other. We caught glimpses of the Hollywood sign (to which I squealed like a little girl) then headed toward Palm Springs. Less than 24 hours until Coachella... ( NOTE: I'm SO glad that I don't live in LA...too many fake smiles, too much status, too much friggin' smog. I don't like my mountains hazy...).

A fairly simple two hour drive to Palm Springs turned into a four hour crawl as well drove through one of the Orange County fires that ended up being national news....well, we drove through the smoldering aftermath. About one mile of the hilly side of the highway was completely black and the median was still being put out. Wild...Mother Nature just shits on California - floods, earthquakes, fires. She only hates the Midwest four months out of the year when she chills us to the bone with sub-zero weather.

So, we arrive in Palm Springs and begin to physically feel the time difference. All six of us - myself, Ron, Amber, Chris, Jackie and Jeff - wander around downtown Palm Springs. It's pretty cute - girly shops, souvenirs shops, trinket shops. We were all totally exhausted after having a meal of less than decent Mexican food (though the outdoor atmosphere made up for it a little - quaint little Mexican terraza), and we decided to pack it in. We made out plans for the next day, then took to our beds. Time to get ready for the best, and mind-booglingly sweatiest, concerts of our lives.

Coachella - first year both days were sold out. 60,000 people each day. THE HOTTEST I'VE EVER BEEN IN MY LIFE. It was a true test of human will, and we all aced it. Half of us arrive at about 10am, so Amber and Chris could go to will call. While waiting at the gates, we found a fellow Detroiter and hung out for about an hour. Turns out he knew quite a few local bands and came up to Mt. Pleasant with Broadzilla when Joe Schubert was producing Live From Studio A. We talked bars, the city...in the sea of wackiness, it was nice to start out with some hometown familiarity. But, the best part of that morning, was Coachella Guy. I've told this story a dozen times already...it's great, though I'm tired to telling it. Anyone who wants to know, just throw a comment my way. I'd be happy to. I'll say this: he represents all the American Dream stands for - Coachella Guy.

Day one - Indio, California. 103 degrees. SPF 48 applied generously. Rawk stretched began. Miles left to walk. (NOTE: For the next two days, we had to pick and choose who we wanted to see. Luckily, we had options, but we didn't get any break in between bands...fantastic...)
The Bands:
1. Howie Day - He should have just let the band hang out in the shade. He's truly a one man band acoustic master. Great mellow way to start out the day. I love watching him play. And he's a cutie.
2. The Sounds - This band is channeling Blondie in a big way. Very chick rock, laced with keyboards, and the lead singer is not afraid to use the world "Mother Fucker." Maybe she's been hanging out with Karen O. Good times.
3. Peretz - Yep, it was Perry Farrell of Jane Addiction, who, when he's not having kids or planning Lollapalooza, is a DJ. Apparently, the man loves house music. Dance interlude...
4. Stellastar* - More than made up for the their less than stellar-star performance at the Shelter. Ron is now a fan. Mission accomplished.
5. Trail of Dead - DISAPPOINTMENT OF THE DAY. They tried but they came out sounding tired and crunchy. Sorry, dudes.
6. Junior Senior - I must own this CD. They're from Norway, they mix it up - part church revival, part Motown, part booty shake. They're fat, they're skinny and you'd never think a sound like that could come from men who look like truck drivers. Great. More dancing... (At this time, Beck was on another tent stage. It was ridiculously packed, though it was very interactive with tambourine assistance from the audience. Beck, play a bigger stage!)
7. Death Cab For Cutie - Always a pleasure. Always the sensible musicians - they all wore white suits. Just like your neighbors. I enjoy them every time I see them.
8. "Waiting in line for food" - fucking ridiculous. Over an hour for a hot dog. We missed Desert Sessions, but I need some kosher beef energy.
9. Pixies - clearly the highlight of half the crowd's life. They were great. It made me think I wasn't cool, not knowing very many songs, but it was more of a history lesson for me. I feel enlightening and must now update my back catalog.
10. Radiohead - the most intense show of both days, and the most popular. They were amazing. Dipped into Hail To The Theif, OK Computer, just a dab of Kid A and The Bends, but as a personal request from the Pixies, they played Creep. They haven't done this in years!!! The 'chu-chunk' sound before the chorus was amazing to hear live...and everyone knew they had made the right choice that evening.
11. Electric Six - We were surprised how many people were jumping and fist-pumping to these Detroiters. They were great; the best part - yelling out "WJLB" at the end of Improper Dancing and thanking Radiohead for "opening up for them." Cocky as could be, but I wouldn't have it any other way.
**We got two message from Matt Caurana that night, to effect of "can you guys get me in, I want to come in" and "call me back and play me something!" We wish you were there, Matt!!!
After a two hour drive home (that sucked) we all collasped and vowed to sleep in...our bodies had taken a major hit and we had to recoup.

Day Two - Indio, California. 107 degrees. We all slept in, enjoyed a big IHOP breakfast, and arrived at Coachella at about 2pm. The Bands:
1. Elefant - THE PIRATE LIVES! White suit with a white pirate tie. I knew Diego wasn't going to let me down. He was as arty as ever and they were right on. Whatever this "post-new-retro-wave" sound is called, I dig it completely.
2. Muse - MOST ENTERTAINING OF THE FESTIVAL. Their sound was so powerful and rich, and I had no idea guitars could sound so different - a little Radiohead circa "The Bends", a little Ours, a little Jeff Buckley - give me seconds! All the amps were metal plated, so they could be kicked over and played on, which they were and they did.
3. Thursday - Absolutely one of my favorites, and truly the most passionate of the festival. Geoff Rickely had been sick and in/out of the hospital all that week. Six songs into their set, he collapsed. He was down for about a minute, got back up, proclaimed that because of the Pixies and the Cure they had to finish their set, and did so. The whole set. He was manic and they borough the much deserved hardcore to the main stage. Bravo!
4. Belle and Sebastian - I think I took a nap during them. Like a Scottish Partridge Family or Brady Bunch. Very happy, sweet melodies with some horns thrown in. Good napping music.
5. Air - Their last two albums were good, my personal favorite is still "Moon Safari." They played half their set from that album, and they were very French. Complimented the sunset very well.
6. Flaming Lips - Oh boy. Wayne got into a plastic bubble and 'desended from outer space' as the crowd carried him around. Animal suits, spotlights, video screens proclaiming this was the best day of our life, singing happy birthday to Beck...so much fun. Definitely the most fun show of the festival.
7.5. Basment Jaxx - Jackie and I sprinted to the stage, to arrive just in time for "Red Alert" and another song with special guest Dizzee Rascal. The best dance interlude of the weekend. At this time, I was no longer in control of my body. Best timing ever!
7. The Cure - Um yeah...I bit boring, to be honest. They did play a lot of the hits, but I think the post-festival meltdown was just beginning. There's really nothing exciting about Robert Smith. Sorry, goth brigade, that's jut how I feel. Hate me too; it's what you do best.

Overall, with everything - the art, the sculpture, the music - it was exhausting, but I can't wait to do it all again next year...maybe *wink*. Two full days of my favorite bands - I needed this experience and it was everything I'd hoped for. Oh, and there are mountains everywhere!!! It's so great, like nothing I've ever seen. The West Coast is a world of its own.

Tomorrow, San Diego wrap-up...now, back to the commercials!

counter easy hit