Tuesday, July 27, 2004

What's mine is ours

*Stares whisfully out the window*

Oh, I'm sorry. I was having a moment...goddamn, every time I see Ours play, I feel warmth and sadness at the same time; warmth because I can official call them one of my favorite bands, and saddness due to the hand that the music biz has dealt them. It hasn't be an easy road, but Detroit really loves those guys.

Last night was a full band/acoustic medely. Jimmy was great - two and a half hours worth - I would have stuck around for another half an hour. Their shows have this way of putting you in a trance, then violently shaking you back to reality, then back into a trance...needless to say, Liz didn't get a health night's sleep. They did play lots of new stuff from the upcoming album (due in about a year), two songs in particular we all heard the last time they came to the Magic Bag, and the old material never sounded so good...or so loud. My eyes started to ache, THAT'S how loud it was. "Monster", "Drowning", "Broken", "Red Colored Stars", a Chris Cornell cover (who apparently doesn't like Jimmy)...and the wail...that beautiful, other-wordly wail. I heart Jimmy Gnecco!

But let's talk about the 'opening band.' There were two bands that were seen in two seperate publications who were supposed to be the opening acts. Well, come 9:00, the feedback machine started...and didn't friggin' stop until 9:30. Yes, a solid half hour of feedback, a few beats thrown in, some keyboards, some audible screeching like this mystery band was trying to kill a bird or other small animal, and flashing lights. Oh, did I mention this was all BEHIND A CURTAIN? Move the fucking cheese cloth, you morons, and let me see who I need to flip off!

Until, the curtian was dropped...and it was Ours. Yeah, there was no opening band. Ours played a mean and dirty trick on all of us. All was forgiven after the first three songs.

I'm glad Amber received our voicemail! Another great show, indeed.

counter easy hit