Monday, August 15, 2005

Worth every fucking penny.

That was last night's Destiny's Child Show in a nutshell. Now, you don't have to be a fan of pop music. That's fine with me. Plenty of folks chuckled and snorted in my direction when I mentioned that I was going to this show, even looking forward to it. But all I can say is ALL OF YOU PEOPLE ARE WRONG. It was phenomenal. From the dancing to the singing (yep, real singing from all of them-an especially impressive showing from Beyonce). The show lasted almost two hours, full of soul and hot beats. Yes, there was the 'medley' of hits (I was disappointed that I didn't get my full dose of "Independent Women Part 1" and "Bootylicious"), including their early hits from 1997. "Bugaboo?" "No No No?" I forget how electric those songs were (are!) on the dancefloor.

I lost track of all the costume changes...somewhere around 6 or 7 at least. And yes, each lady got to strut their solo stuff. Kelly had her version of "Dilemma," which originally featured Nelly, but Kelly filled in just fine. Then, the Reverend Michelle Williams. She has released a number of successful gospel albums during the height of Beyonce. She. Was. Incredible. Preach on, girl. It was revival time in the Palace. Then...B came out and, of course, brought IT. Her performance of "Baby Boy" and "Naughty Girl" were sassy, full of booty (that girl is HEALTHY. God Bless Beyonce!) and full of soul. Another costume change and the rest of the show consisted of song off of Destiny fulfilled. Lots of soothing R and B, they even invited three men to come up on stage, in which they proceeded to give each of them a personalized lap dance. It was so great! The girls were very charming and funny on stage and the guys were eating it up. The stud that Kelly picked couldn't stop staring at Beyonce. Crazy in love for sure!

Speaking of which, B came out later and busted out another solo jam, "Crazy In Love" (absolutely my FAVORITE song of hers). More from the new album, a full version of "Survivor" (complete with salsa dancing and bull fighters)then, oh shit, the drum line hit and the Palace went up in smoke during "Lose My Breath."

Ah, such a great time. Superb seats (front row of our section and we had the end two seats for easy snack retrieval/exiting), prompt timing (there was only a half an hour between Mario and DC), incredible lights and staging. I can't wait until three years from now, when they come out of retirement for their reunion tour!

counter easy hit