Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Tuesday Round-up

I firmly believe that in my other life, I was a 16 year old emo boy with a broken heart on my hooded zip-up sweatshirt. My awesome cousin Daniel made me two mix CDs with his favorite tracks from last year - they're full of adorable, acoustic-y, love-torn boy sing/shouting. I think he and a friend are coming up to Detroit for the Warped Tour this year. I get to take him to his first big rock show. I've always wanted to be that gal.

So, Blowout - OFFICIALLY SUPERB! Friday...well, let's just skip to Saturday. Well, I guess we could talk about The Muldoons. Dad might very well be riding on their shoelaces of success, but when you hear to two pre-adolescent boys cover Nirvana, and sing their own original songs about action figure battles in their bedroom, an angel gets its wings.

Saturday was tops!!! First of all, a ginormous shout-out to Uncle Grambo and The Senator for their uber generous hospitality. Seriously, you guys went all out with the munchies and the brew and the BONGOS, though Grambo was a bit reluctant...now I understand why! It was all very much appreciated...a tip of the cap to you both. The bands blew minds. In order of supreme rock:
1. Coke Dick Motorcycle Awesome - harder, louder, faster - don't mess with hardcore unless you're ready to bring it. It was a nice change of pace. One can only ingest so much 'garage rock' for one weekend.
2. Dangerville - an even BETTER change of pace. The last time these kats caught my ear was back in 2000 in the mighty mountain town. I've always loved the rockabilly sound, not to mention sassy ladies that play upright bass. *sigh* Delilah...
3. Starling Electric - um...read here and here. 'Nuff said.
4. Queen Bee - meeh. Ron and I only caught two songs, but they were decent. She wasn't as theatrical, but can she pull off some platform boots. Me-ow.
5. Lee Marvin Computer Arm - to all of you who missed these guys, you. are. suckers. By far the best performance of the weekend. Ron and I were right up at the front and it pays to get in the middle of all that wild, on-stage action. The trumpet/tambourine boy did not disappoint and the energy level was through the fuckin' roof. They're all so young! And they make me feel young! I wanted to break a bottle over someone's head!
6. The Hard Lessons - so solid. They are always awesome to see live. Gin jumping off of amps, KoKo Louise and her soulful voice. "When I feel alright, it makes me feel alright, ALRIGHT!" I think KoKo and Delilah should have their own super-hot super-side project. Perhaps...

The night ended with the best kareoke experience next to the Red Dog Saloon in West Virginia. You get all of us ladies in front of a mic and watch 'Bust a Move' flow like Molson. Thanks to Emily and Sarah for the 'Cover Girl' support! All in all, the best Blowout so far - only 363 more days 'til 2007 goes OFF!

Why is Jack Bauer a crazy motherfucker? Because he shoot women. On purpose. He's the badest ass on television.

Frankie Forcefield - RIP, little buddy. Pets are so precious, especially when they are truly part of our family. Stay strong, Liam!

counter easy hit