Wednesday, July 28, 2004

VMAs are upon us...

...well, at least the nominees are. The main event:
VIDEO OF THE YEAR
Jay Z - 99 Problems
Briteny Spears - Toxic
Usher - Yeah
Outkast - Hey Ya
D12 - My Band

Who will win: Um...what song was the entire country singing this summer? What song brought the entire Palace to its feet during the Beyonce/Missy/Alicia Keys Festival of Hot? Ursher, baby. Oh yeah, the video BLOWS.
Who do I want to win: 2/5 of me says 'Hey Yah,' because it's just so much Andre...and he has a coffin onstage. BUT, the other 3/5 of me say '99 Problems.' Rick Rubin has as much attitude and coolness in his facial hair than I have had in the last 25 years. It's gritty, it's from the streets, it's Rick Rubin hanging out with Jay Z...nuff said.

BREAKTHROUGH VIDEO:
Fuckin' Franz "Take Me Out"
Modest Mouse "Float On"
Kanye West "All Falls Down"
New Found Glory "All Dowhill From Here"
White Stripes "Hardest Button to Button"
Steriogram "Walkie Talkie Man"

Who will win: This category is always the most difficult...the innovation, the creativity, they're all winners in their own special way. Because TRL rules the world, I'll have to say either NFG or Kanye.
Who do I want to win: NOT Franz. I really liked "All Falls Down," - a concept I've never seen before (though I hated the baggage x-ray scene...dumb) But Michel Gondry is the most brilliant crazy person I've ever seen, so I'd also have to support the White Stripes. So hard...but who is Steriogram anyway?

I'm a big fan of the music video, so I get into this stuff. I don't know why they don't televise the Best Director category...some would say one of the most important of them all. But they usually aren't very good looking and they won't make out with Paris Hilton at the podium.

counter easy hit